Saturday, December 25, 2010

Ray's Christmas Crackers...


All my regular readers will know how important music is to me... in every post I try to put in some interesting Spanish music. It's a lovely way to reinforce your language skills, pronunciation, vocabulary...everything, including your confidence.... more especially if you make an effort to learn the words and even to sing along. Great in the car!

When I started this blog it spurred me on to find some decent Spanish music... all I knew up to then was Shakira... and though it took a while and a lot of youtubing etc, I actually have found some brilliant stuff. I'm really pleased!

So, in this Christmas edition I want to pick out the outstanding music I have unearthed in a kind of festive fifty sort of way, but not actually 50 if you see what I mean.

But first, a special award for the weirdest video I found.... another chance now to watch Cola Jet Set in action... there's loads of fun to be had here, notably the drummer, the constatn clips of 'phones in case you weren't quite sure... the list goes on. it's just bloody ODD...



Before I go on to the main Top Ten,two more awards... I have a special award for BEST NEWCOMER... and you can probably guess it is going to be that Estrella Morente... here's a different thing of hers...tangos... she's back in that little family gathering (??) where they all just happen to be shit-hot flamenco guitarists and singers...



and this next one gets the award for the HAPPIEST VIDEO... even though the wprds are not entirely happy!... it's Nena Daconte and Ay! Amor...



RIGHT... now on to the main TOP TEN.. I suppose I should do them in reverse order to increase the tension, so at No. 10 it's Facto Delafe and El Indio.



How did he do that??

Right... No 9 goes to a left-field contender, Mala Rodriguez, and I could have chosen any of a number of great performances, but I picked Por la Noche...



At No. 8 I've picked one of the early discoveries I made, Como Yo Te Amo by Niños Mutantes... great video, great song...



Coming in at No 7 is a fine ,live, Vetusta Morla song, A Tientas. They were one of the first bands I found and liked... more from them later...



Just perfect!

Slipping into No 6 is a beautiful Nena Daconte song for which, up to now, I have not been able to show the full proper video.But, I think I have got it now... El Aleph...



A pretty perfect pop song there... gorgeous.

Into the top 5 now, and at No. 5 itself we have Santi Balmas and the wonderful Kim Fanlo with a touching acoustic performance of Domingo Astromantico...



and here's a sneaky extra, the same song done beautifully by Alize and zigoreto, apparently in a little office somewhere.



A song is anything that can walk by itself..

OK then, No. 4 is Love of Lesbian with the quiet, beautiful Universos Infinitos..



And at the all-important No. 3 spot, I have picked the clever, witty, acrobatic and moving Facto Delafe with Mar el poder del mar..



Smart cycling Facto me old mate. At No. 2 it will be the lovely Nena Daconte, the accomplished Joan Tena and the brilliant Cuando Mueren las malditas golondrinas... how I love this...



BUT at the coveted No. 1 spot I have chosen the song that made me realise that there was some incredible Spanish music out there if only I could find it. From Vetusta Morla, the remarkable Al Respirar....



Amazing song, beautiful video, passionate singing... what more can you ask for.

So, there is my Top Ten for the year ...what will next year bring? More brilliant ideas for learning Spanish, more odd sidelines about all things Spanish, more Spanish music.... keep tuning in.

No comments:

Post a Comment